11 replies to this topic

#1 joshg

joshg
  • Members
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Track and Field
  • Lindy:lead

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:42 PM

I may have asked this before, but what can you do to make your shoe soles slippery?  I like them slick, but over time my shoes have become less so.

#2 fly4rfun

fly4rfun
  • Members
  • 192 posts
  • Interests:Flying, Photography, Swing Dancing, Woodworking

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:01 AM

QUOTE(joshg @ Jan 10 2008, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I may have asked this before, but what can you do to make your shoe soles slippery?  I like them slick, but over time my shoes have become less so.

I was told put mole skin on them, you can get this at rite aid or walgreens, it comes in a roll has a adhesive backing.  I tried this on some airwalks that I like to dance in, worked great. slicker than snot ohmy.gif
Just because you are paranoid, dose'nt mean they ain't after you

#3 Russ

Russ
  • Moderators
  • 1,344 posts
  • Interests:Swing dancing...

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:47 AM

QUOTE(joshg @ Jan 10 2008, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Depends on what the sole is you're trying to make slippery... rubber, leather, suede, etc.

#4 joshg

joshg
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:58 PM

Hello Russ,

The soles I am speaking of are leather.

#5 fly4rfun

fly4rfun
  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE(joshg @ Jan 11 2008, 6:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Iv'e seen wax put on them, what type i dont know.  when i convertd some street shoes to dance i took a fine grit sandpaper to the sole's 400-600-800 grit. makes them smooth. used 3m wet/dry.

#6 joshg

joshg
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:06 AM

What's 3m wet/dry?  

Fine grit sandpaper 400, then 600, then 800 sounds good.  I might also check with the shoe repair place I use in Beavertron; they are experts on this sort of thing.      

Thanks people!

#7 fly4rfun

fly4rfun
  • Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 04:33 AM

QUOTE(joshg @ Jan 12 2008, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's 3m wet/dry?  

Fine grit sandpaper 400, then 600, then 800 sounds good.  I might also check with the shoe repair place I use in Beavertron; they are experts on this sort of thing.      

Thanks people!

3M is a brand name, wet or dry is a type of sandpaper that can be used dry or with water, used in the autobody industry primarly.  black or grey in color.  you can go finer if you want up to 1200 possibly 1500 if they carry it.

Edited by fly4rfun, 12 January 2008 - 04:34 AM.

#8 kbuxton

kbuxton
  • Members
  • 242 posts
  • Lindy:follow

Posted 14 January 2008 - 12:16 PM

QUOTE(fly4rfun @ Jan 11 2008, 7:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Iv'e seen wax put on them, what type i dont know.

Please don't put wax on your shoes.  Over time it'll rub off onto the floors leaving slick spots that are frustrating for other dancers, and dangerous for those with already slippery shoes.

#9 Geoffro

Geoffro
  • Members
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Swing out hard

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:39 PM

Baby powder works also.  You can find an unused corner of the dance hall and sprinkle a little on there ground and scoot in it.  Some folks say that it works fine.

#10 Russ

Russ
  • Moderators
  • 1,344 posts
  • Interests:Swing dancing...

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(joshg @ Jan 11 2008, 6:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Russ,

If your leather soles are sticky, and not the floor, I'm guessing you have a build up of blackish goodness on your shoes... You could remove that by going outside and scratching it off on a sidewalk surface... or you could use sand paper I guess, but both of those things would also wear down the souls of your shoes. I'd only do those two things if I needed a quick fix...

If you have time, just get your shoes wet and scrap the gunk off with a coin or a spoon and let your shoes dry.

DON'T put anything on the floor to make your shoes slide more unless you own the floor.

I'd also advise against putting wax on the bottom of your shoes as it creates inconsistancies in the floor.

If you're dancing on a floor like the PPAA in plain leather shoes and you're having trouble sliding... You're doing something wrong or your legs aren't strong enough smile.gif

#11 G. Baby

G. Baby
  • Members
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:Following. Dancing - I don't really care what style if I like the way you lead. Sometimes it's fun to work and be good, and at other times it's fun to not be any good at all and not even care.
  • Lindy:follow

Posted 18 January 2008 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Jan 18 2008, 2:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DON'T put anything on the floor to make your shoes slide more unless you own the floor.

Ditto that. Baby powder can cause damage to some floors, and once again cause inconsistencies that are dangerous for other dancers.

For a real quick hack for slippery shoes (if you haven't been able to sand them yet), buy peds that are too big for your feet, and slide them on over your shoes. You'll zoom! But depending on the peds you by, they can wear out real quick. Dancing a little on a clean dry sidewalk will also do wonders.

#12 joshg

joshg
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 January 2008 - 06:04 PM

I did the 400-600-800 sand paper.  I could slide really well on the upstairs of the Rite.  Downstairs not so great.  Thx for the advice

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users